How to prevent hair loss?
Read our tips on what you can do to prevent hair loss by applying some simple measures.
All people (men & women) lose hair on a daily basis. Unfortunately, many people will experience periods of rapid and excessive hair loss without new hair growing back to replace it. This results in thinning or weakening hair which may lead to some degree of baldness.
Hereditary reasons play a major role in the severity of hair loss but improper care for your hair along with an unhealthy lifestyle may cause hair loss to set in prematurely.
Read our smart tips on what you can do:
- Water, protein, biotin (part of the vitamin B complex), vitamins A, B6, B12, C, copper, iron, omega 3 fatty acids, zinc, calcium, folic acid, and magnesium all play a part in maintaining a healthy scalp, skin, and hair.
- Getting proper nutritients is essential for healthy and strong hair.
- Using your fingertips to massage your scalp will increase blood supply in your scalp which is important for hair growth.
- Gentle brushing of your hair will help break up hardened oils that clog your pores. It is recommended that you brush your hair with 100–200 strokes in the morning and at night.
- Tight fitting hats will diminish circulation in your scalp and will also cause build-up of sweat and grime.
- Avoid exposure to excessive wind, sun, and heat (such as from hair dryers, hot showers, and curling irons) on your hair.
- Try reducing stress by taking some time out daily just to relax; excessive stress is believed to induce hair loss.
- If you colour your hair, limit colouring it to once every 2 months. Hair colouring harms your hair and the less frequently you colour it the better.
- Avoid putting too much physical stress on your hair; brush/comb your hair gently, do not pull your hair when you brush and avoid braids and ponytails if possible, they place constant stress on your hair.
- Getting enough sleep is desirable.
- Use a conditioner and keep trimming any split ends.
- See your doctor or a dermatologist for advice if you have concerns about hair loss and want to seek treatment (conservative or surgical).